Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Beef...Is it what's for dinner??

Whats for dinner? 

This question, seemingly simple has been haunting, plaguing, taunting, and downright overwhelming me for...gosh I don't even know how long.  However, now that I am a wife and nourishing an infant inside, I have almost come to the conclusion that throwing my hands up in surrender is really the only option.

What's for dinner?  Who knows?  You?  Any ideas?  Anyone???

Almost as annoying as the "What am I going to wear?" question, the dinner gets a less annoying rank, only because it is necessary to live.  Clothes, are well, necessary for me to live, but I don't think the general population (my husband included) would agree with clothes ranking OVER food.  Unfortunately.

So, ya, especially now, that my every food choice has a direct relation to my sweet Annabelle I have become even more stressed on the matter.  I have no idea WHAT'S FOR DINNER!!!!

Every day, I think, contemplate, weigh my options, explore the food chain, all as a part of my inner dialogue to try and discern what is calling me that evening.  I realize a lot of this could be avoided, by meal planning, but I haven't quite figured that one out.  So I go spur of the moment style, which I wouldn't recommend.

Last night, while B-dub was at a meeting, I thought ALL day, what I would make.  I figured he would arrive home, hungry, not up to my usual debate on what we should eat, so I tried to take matters into my own hands and figure something out.  The best I could come up with - based on my pantry supplies, was paninis. Fancy, I know.  So I made my plan and off to the store I went.  You must understand this store trip was much simpler than most, so I thought, I needed a rotisserie chicken, spinach, pesto, and orange juice (not for the paninis just for me).   I made the rounds around 6:30ish to which I have found out, if you are in the market for a rotisserie chicken, is WAY to late.  All that were left were the chicken in plastic baggie things, not nearly as appetizing as the pretty plastic cases they usually come in, and for some reason the sight of the plastic baggy chicken made me gag.  So, I wandered, and wandered, and wandered, looking, pleading, hoping for some other inspiration to take a hold of me so I could avoid the plastic baggy chicken.  20 min later, I gave up.  Held my breath and picked a plastic chicken. 

Paninis it was.  Final. 

Then just as I was leaving the store, Sonic caught my eye.  Whoever designed Sonic in visual proximity to the Kroger is just plain mean.  I was parched and decided what a FUN treat Sonic would be to bring my hard working hubby as a little surprise after a long, hard day.  I pulled in the line and ordered a small sprite (my  pregnancy vice) and a Vanilla Dr. Pepper.  When suddenly it hit me!  EVERYTHING looked like a gourmet meal, from the chili cheese hamburger (let me just interject here and be the first to say how GROSS that is, I know its gross, that just added to my surprise) to the super sonic cheese tots, I have never wanted sonic so much in my life!  Especially with the thought of plastic baggy chicken sitting in my car.  I refrained, then complete temptation....instead of my sprite they brought fries, weird I know...but secretly every once of me wanted to keep the fries and eat every last one of them!  I had a moment of self control, sent the fries back, and that was it, my dinner was officially ruined.

Don't get me wrong, I made the paninis...they just had lost their luster.  I blame bag chicken.  By the time I had our "simple" dinner done, I had yelled at my husband, stained my BRAND NEW shirt, dropped a knife on my foot, and secretly had the fleeting thought to give away my dog.  DISASTER.  Making me hate thinking about dinner that much more.

I rant, only because I know I cant be the only one who has these issues.  In fact after talking with my sweet sister, who works twice as hard as I do, has a toddler, lives in the middle of Houston, and whose husband's schedule is lets just say, complicated, I realize I am not alone!!!  Why is this dinner thing so hard? 

Even now, I am thinking about what we are going to eat tonight.  ugh.  Its just making me hungry.  But I will keep trying, trying to keep my sanity and keep my family nourished.  I have a feeling it will only get more complicated as life goes on.  So, tonight, I will reconcile with myself and all my dinner issues to get a plan, make a plan, stick with the plan, and get at least 3 of the food groups on our dinner table sometime before 9:00!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment