Monday, August 30, 2010

"Now Showing"

Apparently the belly and I were the feature presentation this weekend.  I guess you could say we had our "debut".  Before now, my weekend wardrobe consisted of a very loose T-shirt and some form of stretchy/sweat pants.  Worked nicely, just gave me a sort of plump appearance, which I have started to reconcile with.

This weekend, was on a whole different scale.  Literally.  With the scale in my bathroom, tipping up daily, our journey from week 16 to week 17 was quite amusing!  I wore for the first time...MATERNITY JEANS!  2 things, 1. why do regular jeans even have a waistband?  I mean seriously, the elastic band is heaven, something I could have used way before now!  The prego's have been holding out on us. 2.  I owe a HUGE thank you to my mother, who has been so kind to her expanding daughter for the comfort I had all weekend in the elastic jeans :)

These maternity jeans, gave me a whole new appreciation for the term "Mom Jeans".  They weren't anything special, although thanks again to grandma Machita, because she did get me some special jeans too, I just didn't happen to wear them to Dave & Busters where I was working this weekend.  (Jealous, you didn't get to work at Dave & Busters on Saturday, ya, don't be).  Anyway, me and my "Mom Jeans" had a fabulously comfortable morning.  We stood, we sat, we did lots of things and I was oh so comfy!!  I do have to interject and fill you in on a song my husband has for mom jeans, it goes something like this...."Mom Jeans, Mom Jeans" to the tune of "Footloose" I think (something from SNL I'm sure)....anyway he sang the mom jeans song, just joking of course, but I didn't CARE one bit!  (P.S. he did tell me he liked the jeans, it was sweet of him to say, not sure how true, but sweet nonetheless).

Anyway....wore the mom jeans to work without a care in the world.  Embracing the expansion! Until, as we were shopping along, minding our own business when a girl who was helping us asked me when I was due.  I looked a little shocked at my husband, checking to see if she said what I thought she said.  I have only had one other person I didn't know ask me when I was due before Saturday, so I am still a little surprised when I get the question.  She was a little embarrassed and said, "you are pregnant, right?!?!"  I regained composure and said, "oh ya, I am sorry"!  Told her my due date, and thought that was the end.  But no, I guess with the realization that I am officially showing, I also need to embrace the firestorm of comments that come with the belly!  She unloaded on me, analyzing the belly, sizing up the belly, comparing the belly, then made sure to ask me "so are you having twins".  LOL!!!  "NO, no twins" I said through my laughter.  Really, I just wanted to run out of there, but she just kept talking.  Apparently, based on the size, roundness, position, and elevation of the belly, she has decided we are having a boy.  It was truly comical!!


Moral of the story, baby dub and I are growing!!!  So with the growth, I am embracing my mom jeans, getting more accustomed to answering the "when are you due" question, and bracing for ALL THE COMMENTS bystanders feel the need to share!

2 comments:

  1. enjoy every second of being pregnant. i found it to be such a spiritual, humbling experience. i am sure you are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Maternity 'a.k.a. Mom jeans'...They are the best!!! Wait until you try the Noppies...

    ReplyDelete